Monday, December 17, 2007

The Penguin Incident

Almost hijacked! I had to get some bits from the Granholm Hut which is basically a storage shed over near the Mawson's Huts with a small kitchen, food and bedding that can be used as a refuge in case you are caught out in bad weather and can't make the 700 metre trek back to the Sorensen. Naturally I rode a quad over (none of this man hauling sleds for me - this is the 21st century!) parked it near the hut and went in to get the tools I was after. When I came out I realised what a bad neighbourhood I was in. A group of about 10 penguins had surrounded my bike and looked like real trouble makers. I think if I had been any longer the bike would be on blocks and the wheels gone. I approached tentatively but displaying nonchalance so they wouldn't think me intimidated. I think a couple moved around behind me. "Hi, fellas", I said in a friendly but assertive manner. "I don't want any trouble just gonna get on my bike and leave". I tied the tool bag onto the rack and headed off (...um, carefully avoiding the protected wildlife, of course). As I looked back, they were staring at the rocks on the ground wishing they had hands so they could throw them at me.
Filed by expedition electrician, Steve Beaton

No comments: